Clinical teaching is an option for those who want to be eligible for a Texas Standard Teaching Certificate in one semester. It differs drastically from an internship in several ways:
- Internship requires two semesters to complete; clinical teaching can be completed in one semester.
- Internship requires a candidate to be hired as a full-time, certified teacher; clinical teachers are placed in a specific classroom setting, by the program and under a certified cooperating teacher’s guidance.
- Interns earn a full salary and benefits as an employee of a school district; clinical teachers receive no salary as they are not employed for the duration of the clinical teaching experience.
- Passed all content and content-related tests
- Completed and submitted all field-experience hours
- Completed all core training classes and online modules
- Notified the program director of their intention to clinical teach, preferably one month prior to the start of the semester.